How to Clear/Remove Video Cache in Kodi XBMC (Jarvis/Krypton)
When you play movies, tv shows and other videos over Kodi add-ons they usually play brilliantly. However, all add-ons require a pre-buffered amount of data to make sure that your videos don’t pause every second. Kodi saves this video buffer in the RAM, using the 20MB that is allocated to all its add-ons by default.
Sometimes, to cover high quality buffering Kodi add-ons override default settings and save buffered data on your hard drive. Well and good for high spec devices, but low spec devices tend to display messages like “Cache is full, empty your Cache.” This leads to slow video playback and buffering when you play high quality videos.
There is no harm in clearing up the default cache as it frees up space allowing other add-ons to use it to create buffer for video playback, giving you an excellent streaming performance. Kodi will at one point automatically clear the video cache in case it needs the space for its add-ons.
SO, let’s go ahead and discover how to remove (clear) cache in Kodi. Since it’s the same for all versions, I will demonstrate this on Kodi xbmc Jarvis.
How to Clear Cache Automatically in Kodi (Fix Buffering Issues Caused by Full Storage)
There are various program add-ons you can use to clear Kodi caches. I can list all of them for you but let’s stick with the most commonly used one, Maintenance Tools Program Add-On. The best thing is that it is available in the Fusion Repository that most of us usually have installed due to Exodus and other streaming add-ons.
Let’s install Maintenance Tools first to clear (remove) cache in Kodi xbmc:
- From your Kodi Home Screen go to Programs>scroll down click Get More
- In the add-ons listed, scroll down and find Maintenance Tool, and click it
- A new pop-up box will appear, click Install
- You will have installed the Maintenance Tool Program Add-On when the “Success” box appears
Next, we will use Maintenance Tool Program Add-On to clear cache in Kodi:
- From the Kodi xbmc Home Screen go to Programs>Maintenance Tool(remember to update Maintenance Tool from the TV ADD-ONS Repository Git File, you can do that by right clicking the Add-on and clicking Add-on Information>Update)
- When you click Maintenance Tool a pop up box will appear “This Tool is intended for ADVANCED Users Only!”, click ok
- Another Community News box will appear next, click ok again
- Now you will see the Maintenance Tool menu click General Maintenance
5. Click Clear Cache
6. A new pop-up box will appear asking you to delete cache files, click Yes
7. The add-on should inform you “Done Clearing Cache Files”
Congratulations you have successfully cleared your Kodi cache, enjoy pause free video playback. Do remember that video streaming also depends on a number of factors including you internet connection, your WI-FI connection, ISP throttling etc.
How to Clear Cache in Kodi FireStick
Like the Windows, Mac, and Android versions you can use the same step by step methods listed above to clear the cache in your Kodi for FireStick also. Since the Amazon FireStick has limited storage, it is good to routinely clear the cache on the device.
Just to be sure, also check your FireStick’s connectivity with the router and then clear the cache in FireStick following the same steps as instructed above.
See You Again Soon
Hope you found my how to remove cache in Kodi guide helpful & your streaming issues worked out fine. Check out our blog and guides sections for more interesting add-ons, configuration guides, troubleshooting and unblocking solutions for Kodi.