How to Install/Setup Kodi on Android Devices and Phone 2019
The popularity of Kodi seems to be growing with every passing day. Already counted among the most popular entertainment platforms for streaming content, Kodi has grown across several platforms (Windows, Raspberry Pi, Linux) and is now compatible with Android. Kodi on android allows users to make the best of Kodi to maximize entertainment.
And it’s about time too, especially when you look at the diverse range of Android-powered devices out there, from tablets and phablets to Smart TVs and TV boxes.
In this blog, we’ll show you how to setup Kodi on Android Box. If you aren’t already familiar with it, an Android Box gives you unrestricted access to content anywhere in the world from your favorite movies and TV shows to the latest in sports and news. It makes cutting the proverbial cord a rather painless experience. Setting up Kodi on Android opens up hundreds of streaming avenues.
So, when you setup Kodi on Android Box, the possibilities are practically limitless as you get unrestricted access to any type of digital media like region-locked TV channels, movie libraries and more using the best VPN for Android on Kodi.
How to Install Kodi on Android TV Box Directly
We’re sure you’re probably dying to know how do I install Kodi on Android Box right about now. But before you start, you must uninstall any previous version of Kodi on your Android TV. Once you have done that, simply follow these steps:
- On the home screen, click on My Apps
- Then click on Browser
- Type http://kodi.tv then press Okay
- Go to Downloads
- Select ARM Version
- Wait for download complete
- Go to My Apps
- Go to App Installer
- Select Local Disk
- Find Kodi App and press okay to install
- Click Install on the pop-up dialog box
- After the installation is complete, click on open
That’s it! You have successfully set Kodi Android. If you require any additional information about howto setup Kodi on Adenoid box, you can check out their Wiki. Now you can unblock and watch geo-restricted content anywhere in the world. However, you need a good Kodi VPN to do that. You can check out our list of the Top Kodi VPNs to unblock any content anywhere in the world and to cast Kodi through android.
How to Install Kodi on Android TV Box via Play Store
Kodi on Android TV Box can also be setup via Google Play Store. Your Play Store will automatically choose the version 32bit or 64bit of Kodi you need.
- Open Android Box Home
- Go to Google Play Store from the main menu
- Create your Gmail Account. In case you have a Gmail Account already then log in to it.
- Now search for Kodi > Select Kodi from the search results > Click Install
- Open Android Box > Open Apps > Click on Kodi
Upgrade Kodi on Android TV box
To update Kodi, first uninstall Kodi from the Android device. Once Kodi is uninstalled, updating Kodi on Android device is not that much of an issue. You can easily update Kodi by downloading the latest Kodi version on your device and then follow the steps that are mentioned for installing Kodi above. The procedure would be exactly the same.
Best Kodi Addons for Android
Before setting up android addon for kodi, you will need to choose among the best kodi addons for android. You can install most of the addons on any android device, but the following are the most popular ones.
- White Devil
- Dogs Bollocks
- Nightmare Sports
- Gold Flix
How To Add Kodi Addons On Android
To add Kodi Addons on Android, you must download the Kodi Addon Installer. To do that, you need to follow these steps:
- Open Kodi
- Go to SYSTEM > File Manager
- Click on Add Source
- Then select None
- Type http://fusion.tvaddons.ag and click on Done
- Highlight the box underneath Enter a name for this media Source and type Fusion
- Select OK
- Return to Home Screen
- Go to SYSTEM
- Select Add-Ons
- Select Install from zip file
- Select Fusion and then click on Begin Here
- Select plugin.program.addoninstaller-x.x.x.zip
- Wait for Add-on Enabled notification
Congratulations, you have successfully installed the Kodi Addon Installer. With it, you can add Kodi Addons On Android without any hassle. To access the Addon Installer, simply go to:
PROGRAMS > Add-Ons > Add-On Installer
How To Watch Channels On Kodi Android
To watch channels abroad on Kodi for Android Box,
- Open Kodi
- Select SYSTEM
- Select TV (or Live TV if you are on a version lower than 15.2 and if you are then consider updating)
- Select General
- Select Enabled
- You will now see a pop-up saying that you have no PVR Client enabled. Select OK
- Scroll down and select PVR IPTV Simple Client
- Select Enable
- Select Configure
- In General select M3U Play List URL
- Copy URL: http://pastebin.com/raw/fiMEf4Ab and paste in address bar.
- Select OK
- Reboot Kodi
- From the Home Screen, open TV to see the live channel list
- Select any channel to load and play
And that’s about it! Now you can stream Live TV on your Android Box with Kodi and catch your favorite movies, TV shows, sports, news and much more. Bear in mind though that you would still need a good Kodi VPN to unblock geo-restricted TV channels on Kodi. Check out our list of the Top 5 Kodi VPNs for further details.
How to Backup Kodi Android
It’s always best to backup Kodi Android once you’ve set up the ideal configuration according to your personal preference. Thankfully, it is easy to backup Kodi on Android. Here is what you need to do:
- Click on SYSTEM and select Settings
- From the menu bar on the left, select Add-ons tab
- Click on Get Add-ons
- Select and open the repository named org Add-ons
- From listed categories, select Program Add-ons
- Choose XBMC Backup add-on
- Click Install and wait for the process to complete
- Go back to the main menu and navigate to PROGRAMS menu
- Click on XBMC Backup add-on
- Then click on Backup
- You will be prompted with an error message: “Error: Remote path doesn’t exist”. Go ahead and click OK
- Click on “Browse Remote Path”
- Navigate to the folder where you want to save your backup data
- Then Click the OK button on the right side of the window
- At the bottom of the Settings window, you’ll see another OK button, click on it
- Choose XBMC Backup” addon one more time
- Then select Backup
- The process will take a few minutes to complete. You can find the backup data in the folder you chose in step 13
- You must now copy the entire backup folder to a new device or removable drive. You can use the default File Manager application for that
How to Restore Backup Files
Here’s how to restore the backup files for Kodi:
- After you have copied Backup Folder to the new device, launch XBMC on it as well. Navigate to SYSTEM > Settings
- Click on Add-ons tab from the menu bar on the left
- Select Get Add-ons
- Select Program Add-ons
- Click on XBMC Backup
- Click on The installation process may take a few minutes to complete
- Go back to the main menu and go to the PROGRAMS menu
- Select XBMC Backup add-on listed
- Click Restore
- An error message will pop up. Press OK
- Select Browse Remote Path
- Navigate to the Backup Folder you selected to save your backup data in Step 19
- Then Click the OK button on the right side of the window
- At the bottom of the Settings window, you’ll see another OK click on it
- Once again, choose XBMC Backup addon
- Then select Restore
- Select the Backup File that you want to restore on your device
- Wait for the backup restore process to complete
- Once the process is complete, you will be returned to the previous menu.
- After you are done with the above steps; you must reboot your device for the changes to take effect.
How to Setup Kodi Remote Control on Android
- Go to Google Play from your Android Device.
- Search Kore app > Install it.
- Open Kore App on your Android Phone > Add Media Center > Click Next.
- Let the app search for available media centers.
- Select Kodi from the result list if it is listed. Otherwise, follow the further steps for manual setup.
- Click Next.
- Name Media center as “Kodi“.
- In the Address column, enter the IP address and Port Value (Go to settings > System > Click Summary for extracting these details).
- Enter the Username and Password > Click ‘TEST’> Click Finish.
How to Setup/Install Kodi on Android Phone
The simplest way to install Kodi on Android phone is by downloading it through the Google Play Store. Kodi Krypton should install on any android smartphone or tablet that has at least Android 5.0 Lollipop or higher installed.
Kodi’s Android application is available which is compatible with all Android versions. In case you are looking for a shortcut, try downloading Kodi apk file from any site by searching it on Google and run that apk file to download Kodi on your phone directly.
How to Download Kodi for Android
Getting the Kodi app is a cakewalk as it’s officially available on Google Play Store. So all you have to do is download the app and install it on your Android device. Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to Settings
- Click on Security
- Allow Unknown sources
- Open default Web Browser or Chrome and enter url: http://kodi.tv/download/ to go to the official Kodi downloads page
- Click on link under Android icon to download latest version of Kodi app for Android
- After the download is complete, close Web Browser
- Open File Manager and navigate to Downloads Then click on Kodi APK file and select Open at the prompt
- Choose “Package installer” tool
- Confirm to install Kodi on Android device
- Wait until installation is complete
- Once Kodi app is successfully installed, click on Open at the prompt
- When you launch Kodi app for the first time, it will run a few updates. It is natural for this process to take a few minutes so there is absolutely no need to worry
Once the update is complete, you will see the Kodi home screen.
How to Install/Setup Kodi on Android Smart TV
- Open Google Play Store from the menu.
- Sign in to your Gmail account.
- Search Kodi > Click on Kodi from the results > Click Install.
- Open Home screen > Open Apps > Click on Kodi.
Kodi on Android TV Box Not working
Check Log Error
While installing a Kodi repository or Kodi add-on on Android, or trying to access an add-on after installation, then these errors might popup. The reason for this error popping up is either the obsolete repository or missing files in the repository.
To fix this error, make sure that the repository you are using is updated and has all the necessary files. The repository that we have mentioned in our guide is functional and reliable; use this repository to stay away from any issues.
Could Not Connect to Repository
This error usually arise due to failure to connect to the internet or slow internet connection.
First thing first, check your internet connection and make sure that the cable is plugged in properly. Also check the URL of the repository if it is typed correctly and with a “/” in the end..
Failed to Install Dependency
Failed to install either dependency error appears when you try to install an add-on from a repository that has been shut down or is no longer working.
To fix this error, first check the source of the repository you are using, if it is working then re-install the repository. Otherwise, try to look for another working repository that has this add-on.
Android Alternatives For Kodi
Some of the most popular Kodi Android alternatives are:
With the growing use of Android devices, having Kodi is an added advantage. It provides a one solution for streaming all your favorite content, whether it is movies, shows, documentaries, live news, or sports events. Using the steps mentioned in our guide, you could easily setup Kodi on Android, add different addons, and backup all your existing Kodi settings.
Was our guide useful? Do let us know in the comments below if you have any queries or suggestions.