Ubuntu; the popular most flavor of Linux supports the best streaming software i.e. Kodi and you can easily install Kodi on Ubuntu within a few minutes to enjoy seamless streaming. Follow our guide thoroughly to learn more about the compatibility of Koi and Ubuntu.
What is Ubuntu?
Ubuntu is a Debian based open source operating system and Linux distribution. It is actually a version of Linux operating system just like Windows had XP, Vista etc.
It is the most preferred and well known operating system used for cloud computing. Reason being, the command-line attribute generation and its speed. Another great benefit of Ubuntu is that it is almost impossible to be infected by a malware or a virus and it cannot be hacked. This makes it one of the most secure and reliable operating system.
Can I install Kodi on Linux?
Yes, Kodi can be installed on Linux by downloading the Kodi application through the command line. However, the installation procedure of Kodi for Ubuntu is quite different from the installation procedure carried out on other platforms because of the complexity of its source code and attributes.
This is the best thing about Kodi that it can be installed on almost every platform. Users all over the world are using Kodi on platforms and devices like:
Windows PC, Roku, Mac, iPad/ iPhone, Apple TV, Samsung Smart TV, Android devices, Fire Stick and Fire TV etc. Kodi’s potential of expansion to other platforms is remarkable and it is one of the reason why streaming lovers all over the world opt Kodi for streaming their favorite movies, TV shows, Sports, Live TV etc. XBMC on Linux is a great choice if you want to use Kodi without any malware or hacking hassles.
How to Install Kodi on Ubuntu
Installation of Koi on different Ubuntu versions like version 14, 16, 17 is the same as all of these follow the same command-line protocols. There are two ways you can install Kodi in Ubuntu, either by using the graphical user interface or the command line. If you opt for the command line method, you will have two choices, either install it directly or install it via PPA. Follow these installation procedures to install Kodi on Ubuntu:
Install Kodi on Ubuntu via Graphical Interface
Follow these steps to install Kodi on Ubuntu using your graphical user interface:
- Go to start menu > Search “Ubuntu Software’.
- From here, search for “Kodi”.
- Click Install.
There you have XBMC on Linix installed.
Install Kodi on Ubuntu via Command Line (Direct download Method)
For installing Kodi via command line, follow these steps:
- Open command terminal.
- Type $ sudo apt install kodi.
How to install Kodi in Ubuntu via PPA
To install Kodi on Ubuntu via PPA, go through this procedure:
Step 1: Open the terminal and type these commands exactly.
- sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
- sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get install kodi
Once you have entered these commands as directed, Kodi will be installed.
How to install Kodi Krypton version 17.6 on Ubuntu
Kodi Krypton version 17.6 is currently the most widely used version of Kodi. The above-mentioned procedure will install Kodi Krypton version 17.6 on Ubuntu.
How to install Kodi Jarvis version 16 on ubuntu
If you have already installed the Kodi Krypton version 17.6 and you want to downgrade it to Kodi Jarvis version 16 then you will have to uninstall Kodi version 17.6 first. You can do it by following these steps accordingly:
- sudo apt install ppa-purge
- sudo ppa-purge ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
Here you have your Kodi version 17.6 uninstalled, no to install Kodi version 16, follow these steps:
- sudo apt-add-repository ppa:team-xbmc/kodi-old
- sudo apt update
- sudo apt install kodi
There you have it! Now you have Kodi Jarvis version 16 installed.
What is sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa command ?
Sudo is a command that executes your command for fetching a file. Whereas, apt is a tool that manages the packages for installation. Sudo-apt is the command line protocols used for fetching and executing the repository package for installing Kodi or any other application.
There are some other apt commands as well, used for different things. Ubuntu PPA XBMC is a repository for installing Kodi. A repository is a type of package that has installation setups in it. While trying t install Kodi for Linux, you will have to use Ubuntu PPA XBMC.
How to install Exodus on Ubuntu 17
Once you have installed Kodi in Ubuntu, follow these steps t install the Exodus on Ubuntu. Exodus is among the most popular Kodi addons in the community. Its popularity can be judged by the fact that there are many forks of Exodus Kodi add-on available online and more are coming in every day.
- Open Kodi Home screen > Click on the Settings (gear) icon > Click on System settings from this menu > Click on Add-ons > Enable “Unknown sources”.
- Click on File Manager from the available options in the menu.
- A new window will open up; Double-Click on “Add Source” option form the left-hand column.
- Click where it says <None> and type this URL:http://lazykodi.com/ > Click
- Name this repository URL as ‘Lazy Kodi’> Click OK > Now double-check both the name and URL and Click OK and the dialogue box will close.
- Go back to Kodi Main Menu> Click Add-ons and a newmenu will open > Click on the Package Installer (Box) icon from the top left corner.
- Now select Install from Zip File option, this will open another new window.
- Click and open Lazy Kodi from the list of available options.
- Over here, you will see three options: Repositories, Zipsand
- Click on REPOSITORIES > Click on Androidaba > Click on repository > Scroll down the list and select kodil-104.zip > Wait for the notification.
- Now select Install from Repository option > Click on Kodil Repository
- Go to the Video Add-ons folder > Scroll down and select Exodus.
- Click Install and wait for the notification.
- Once the notification appears, you are ready to use the Exodus Kodi add-on.
- Go to the Add-ons menu > Click on Video Add-ons tab > You will see Exodus in the list, access it and enjoy streaming movies and videos for free.
How to open Kodi on Ubuntu
There are two ways of launching the Kodi application on you Ubuntu,
Via Command Line
Open your command terminal and type this Linix command to open Kodi:
When you enter this command, Kodi will be launched.
Via Start menu
The other way of opening the Kodi application is by:
- Go to start menu.
- Search for Kodi.
- Click on it, Kodi will be launched.
How to update Kodi on Ubuntu
In case you want to update your Kodi, type the following commands in the command terminal:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Your Kodi version will be updated (if there are any updates available online).
Best Kodi Add-ons for Ubuntu
Planning to stream your favorite movies, TV shows and sports on Ubuntu by using Kodi, then you need to have these Kodi add-ons:
- cCloud TV
- Neptune Rising
Ubuntu Alternatives For Kodi
Kodi on Ubuntu is a great thing to have as it allows you to use Kodi with a different environment and you will not be having any malwares being a pain for you. Still, if you are looking for any alternate platforms for using Kodi on then you cn try Kodi on these devices and platforms:
These are some suggested platforms from our side for you to try for experiencing Kodi.
Ubuntu is an amazingly impeccable operating system used worldwide and preferred highly be the coding lovers. If you are a streaming and a coding geek both, then Kodi on Ubuntu is must for you to try. Even if you are not so good at coding, try using Kodi on Ubuntu operating system, you will love the experience, as there are no hassles in this OS. We have also mentioned some of the best Kodi add-ons in this guide; make sure you try these add-ons to enjoy the Kodi experience.