How to Install Kodi on Raspberry Pi 1, Pi 2, Pi 3 And Raspbian – Easy Steps
Kodi is a free open-source software that can be downloaded on your Raspberry Pi device and with it you can watch movies, TV shows, live sports, and everything your heart desire. With 6 easy steps you will be able to know how to install Kodi on Raspberry Pi and your Kodi will be up and running in no time.
The installation process of Kodi is different for Raspberry Pi First Generation, while the installation process of Kodi for Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 remains the same.
How to Install Kodi on Raspberry Pi 1 in 6 Steps
- Open your browser and visit OpenELEC website > Click on Downloads > Scroll down to Raspberry builds. There are separate builds for Raspberry Pi 1, 2, 3, or Zero. Select Raspberry Pi First Generation build (Disk image file) > Download the zip file onto your device.
- Once the zip file is downloaded, extract the zip file on your device.
- Now we need to copy the extracted file onto a micro SD card, and for that we need a software called Rufus that creates bootable USB drives. Download the file from the link presented Here.
- Once downloaded, open Rufus > A box will appear that will require information > Select your SD card from the device option > Click on Disk image located on the box.
- Now browse for the file that was extracted and select the particular file > Hit the Start button on the box. The file will be written on the SD card.
- Now remove the SD card and put it back on your Raspberry Pi device. Once the Raspberry Pi device is powered ON, it will automatically boot in to Kodi. Enjoy using Kodi on Raspberry Pi.
How to Install Kodi on Raspberry Pi 2
To install Kodi on Raspberry Pi 2, except for the first step the entire process will remain the same. Open your browser and visit OpenELEC website > Click on the Download tab located at the top > Scroll down to Raspberry Pi builds > Now select Raspberry Pi 2 (Disk image file) and Download the zip file onto your device > Now Continue with step 2 from the above-mentioned guidelines as described for Raspberry Pi First Generation.
How to Install Kodi on Raspberry Pi 3
The process of installing Kodi on Raspberry Pi 3 remains the same as Raspberry Pi 2. This is because, the setup requires the same OpenELEC disk image file as it is required for the Raspberry Pi 2. So, follow the same step outlined for Raspberry Pi 2 and then continue with further installation process.
How to Install Kodi on Raspbian in 9 Steps
Raspbian is a free operating software for Raspberry Pi device. It is the leading operating system for Raspberry Pi and most commonly used for the device.
- Install Raspbian Jesse on Raspberry Pi website and open Raspbian once it is installed.
- Go to Menu > Preferences > Click on Raspberry Pi Configuration.
- Click on Expand the File System.
- Now click on Performance tab. If you have Raspberry Pi 1 then you need to select GPU Memory of 128, while you can select 256 GPU Memory for Raspberry Pi 2 and 3. Click YES for Reboot.
- Now we need to install Kodi on Raspbian. For this, you need to make sure that you are connected to internet Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
- Click on Terminal icon located at the top > Now copy ‘sudo apt-get update’ exactly and paste it on Terminal > Press Enter > Kodi will take few minutes to install.
- Once the installation is completed, copy ‘sudo apt-get install kodi’ exactly > Press Enter.
- Type Y if it asks for you to continue with the installation on the Terminal > Press Enter.
- Now Go to Menu > Sound and Video > Kodi Media Center > You’re good to use Kodi, Enjoy!
How to Install Raspberry Pi VPN on Kodi Krypton Version 17
Installing Raspberry Pi VPN is a not a walk in the park for beginners, but we will discuss in detail on how you can install Raspberry Pi VPN on Kodi Krypton Version 17 in 8 steps. Before you start installing Raspberry Pi VPN on Kodi, you need to create a Raspberry Pi VPN account with any service and then follow the steps below:
- You need to have a USB flash drive inserted onto your computer.
- Download Zomboided Repository from Here.
- Transfer or copy the Zomboided Repository to USB flash drive.
- Unplug USB from computer and plug it onto your Raspberry Pi device.
- Go to Porgrams > Add-ons > Get more > Select ellipses ‘…’ Select Ellipses again > Select Install from Zip.
- Choose the USB flash drive option from the list > Select repository.zomboided.plugins-1.0.0.zip > The repository will take time to install.
- Go to Add-ons page again > Click on Install from Repository > Select Zomboided Add-on Repository > Click on VPN Manager for OpenVPN > Click on Install.
- Go to Kodi Home Screen > Add-ons > Program Add-ons > VPN Manager for OpenVPN.
- A box will appear where you will need to select your desired Raspberry Pi VPN Service > Insert Username and Password > Enjoy.
How to Install Raspberry Pi VPN on Kodi Jarvis Version 16
The process for installing Raspberry Pi VPN on Kodi Jarvis Version 16 remains the same as for Kodi Krypton Version 17. If you need to install Raspberry Pi VPN, then follow the steps outlined above.
Raspberry Pi Kodi Download
In order to download Kodi on your Raspberry Pi device, you need to download OpenELEC for your respective Raspberry Pi device, while on the other hand you further require to download Rufus.
- You can get OpenELEC for your Raspberry Pi device 1, 2, or 3 Here.
- You can get Rufus software from Here.
- You can get Raspbian OS from Here.
While installing Kodi on Raspberry Pi, you also need to have a micro SD card with an adaptor so that you can easily plug it onto your computer.
To Wrap Things Up
Kodi is the ultimate choice for Raspberry Pi where you can watch tons of media content with ease. In this guide we provided steps on how to install Kodi on Raspberry Pi 1, 2, and 3 with 6 easy steps. The steps for downloading Kodi on Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 are the same, but the step for downloading Kodi on Raspberry Pi First Generation is slightly different. So enjoy Kodi on your Raspberry Pi device.